Sunday, 17 July 2011

When I purchased my embroidery software, I got a really great deal for purchasing digitizing software at the same time. I figured that I could save a lot of money by doing my own designs. Why can’t I digitize like the pros when I have the top-level software?


First of all, it takes a long time to learn the ins and outs of digitizing. If you are new to the embroidery business, you will want to gain experience embroidering before you start to digitize. As a youngster, baby steps are mastered by a marathon runner, just the same as any ordinary individual, and it’s the same in our business. You need to learn to walk before you can run. It’s important to run designs that have been digitized by many digitizers. You will notice that some perform better than others. Try to analyze why.
Learning the editing process is the first step to becoming a good digitizer. When a design doesn’t stitch to your exacting specifications, the ability to go into that design and change the problem areas will give you the foundation that you need to make digitizing decisions. When you are comfortable with those tools, then you may be ready to digitize. Some people really love the digitizing process, and others discover that they really don’t like it at all. It requires a huge amount of patience and hours and hours of practice.
In the beginning, it’s a good idea to have a professional digitizer in your corner. While you learn the process, you can send out the designs that you are not yet capable of mastering. A great way to learn is to digitize the same design that you send to a digitizer, then compare the finished product. Compare the types and directions of stitches, and notice the differences in pathing the design. At some point, you may like your work better than the digitizer’s. That’s when you are ready to do your own digitizing.
 
Most software comes with a training package. If I were purchasing the digitizing package with my embroidery software, I would ask if the training can be split into different sessions so that you, too, can “learn to walk before you learn to run!”

No comments:

Post a Comment